Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Singer


Well I'm about 100 pages into The Slave and I absolutely love it. I love the love story between Wanda and Jacob I think its so romantic the idea of the forbidden love.
I also think the relationship between Jacob and God is extremely interesting. Its quite a transition from reading the Bible to reading The Slave. In the Bible, God is an ever present character who speaks directly to many of his followers. God is always talking to Abraham and Moses and laying down the law. So its weird to read a book where God is everywhere to a story where God is lost. Its seems like in the Slave, Jacob has to try extremely hard to find God, not only was Jacob separated from his family but from God as well. As a Jewish book, God, to me, seems to be really absent. I read in Wiki that Singer said that God was "completely unknown and eternally silent" Which I can definitely see in The Slave. But I think as Jacob's relationship with Wanda grows so does his relationship with God. Jacob is so torn between his desire for Wanda that he begins to try and find God to balance everything out.

What I also think is strange about the Singer is the way the Christians are portrayed. They are NASTY Jacob seems like royalty compared to these dirty stinky people. Some of the things they do are so disgusting, peeing in the house, flashing the privates, vomiting on the floor, picking lice from the breasts. They are just repulsive. I dont know if its just the time period or if its the people but I'm pretty sure its the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment