Wednesday, October 28, 2009


So throughout my reading of "The Slave" I came across quite a few strange traditions that the peasants practiced. They mentioned them for only a few sentences but they were mentioned quite a few times so I decided to look a few of them up and see what they were about.
One that I found that was pretty interesting was the story of Baba.
As much as I looked for who exactly was Baba the only Baba that I was able to find was Baba Yaga. She is this really old crazy witch like lady who supposedly eats small children and lives in a house on chicken legs. I don't know if its the same but I still thought it was pretty cool


I also tried to find out what a Dziad was but all I found was a story of an old Man.


The most interesting story I stumbled upon during my search was a Polish legend of a Polish princess named Wanda.

Apparently Wanda was so beautiful that a Prince traveled from Germany to seek her hand in marriage. He had heard of her beauty and the beauty of Poland and decided that he wanted her and her land. When he traveled to Poland the Princess thought he was barbaric and decided she would not marry him. He was so upset he told her if she didn't marry him he would wage war against her people and all would be lost. Wanda knew if her people fought the Germans they would loose, so instead of accepting his offer she walked into the River and committed suicide in order to free her people.

No comments:

Post a Comment