Sunday, October 11, 2009

So I just finished reading the Dinah story and decided to see what my Teen Study Bible would say about it. I turned to chapter 34 under the title "The Dinah Incident" Incident? I guess thats one way to soften up rape and murder. Its just an Incident its not that big of a deal.

My Teen Study Bible that I have also has small sections that help explain things that may be a little confusing or tell us what it meant historically called "what's it mean" and as I was reading "The Dinah Incident" one of the "What's it Means" talked about abstinence. Their explanation for abstinence was survival. It said,
" Why wait? To stay alive. In Old Testament times, it was against the law for a woman to lose her virginity, the woman faced a possible death penalty. This punishment did not apply to women who had been raped. In the case of sexual assault, the rapist was required to pay the woman's father as though he were going to marry the woman. The father, then, had the choice of accepting or rejecting the offer of marriage."
Uh I don't see how they can combine rape and abstinence in one sentence. I know that they were trying to tie the history together but those are two topics that have nothing to do with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment